_

_

HYPRConscious

What do you strive for?

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Jobs, Why so Difficult?

I just called up my (supposed) employer for the summer and he said that he might not have much work for me this summer. What the hell? He didn't even give me a yes or no answer as to whether he's going to give me work, he just kind of put his foot in the door so that when he runs out of places to put me, he can lay me off without feeling bad about it. If he can't give me work, he needs to let me know so that I CAN make money by getting a job elsewhere. I can't afford to not work for any length of time this summer, as I owe my parents money. I know they wouldn't care if I didn't pay them back till after I graduate, but I would personally like to pay them back before then.

This whole situation, as small as it may seem, just kind of brings to mind the whole idea of finding a job as a career. Why must it be so hard and stressful? These companies that are hiring graduates already know what we are capable of, why does it seem like we have to prove that we know so much more than we really do? We are just lying to ourselves and them. I mean, by the time a graduate, I doubt I'll be much more knowledgeable than I am right now. Ill know a little bit more about how stuff works and is interconnected, I might know a little more about programming (which I will probably have to learn all over again when I get a job), I'll still be a responsible person who is willing to learn. It seems like such a waste of time/money to goto college. Sure, we might learn a base of knowledge that we might not have learned elsewhere, but is it really worth the time/effort/money needed to get through school? The main thing is time, 4 years is quite a long time to just be "spinning your wheels" in the mud. I'm not accomplishing anything, I'm not making money, wtf am I doing? I'm wasting my time trying to get a piece of paper is the best explanation that I can muster up.


The saddest part about the whole thing is that I know what I am doing is a complete waste of energy/time/money, but I am doing it anyway. I am doing it because sadly this is the way the world works most of the time, the companies want to see if you are "learning capable". I guess it takes 4 years to make sure someone is willing to put in the effort to learn? I would much rather study on my own, for a job that I would know I would receive. I could learn SO much in 4 years, if I just knew what I was getting into after my learning stage. The thing with degrees is that they are so broad that you tend to learn a lot of things that you really aren't going to need to know depending on which career field you get into. If it was possible to know what job you were going to get BEFORE starting your education, it would help everyone out. I do realize that this is practically implausible, however.

The one plus side to this style of learning is that you get a base knowledge that allows you to pick where you want to go when you graduate. This all depends on the job market though. If the market sucks, you're going wherever, and you're going to like it. You're going to like it because the alternative is working at Wal-Mart, and working at a shitty job that pays mediocre is much better than working at a shitty job that expects you to be on welfare to support yourself. So when you goto work next time, just be glad you don't work at Wal-Mart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home