_

_

HYPRConscious

What do you strive for?

Friday, November 03, 2006

Parable of Two Programmers

Read here.

I don't know this parable just kind of pisses me off for some reason. I feel that although Charles DID slack off for bit, he STILL got the project done within the time constraints. I guess it's a matter of whether or not the company expects RESULTS or MOTIVATION. Personally, if I was running a company, I would want the results. I am the one making the quotas, if the employees can produce what I ask (and then some), who am I to judge their ethic? If I feel like they can do more, they will get more workload. I wouldn't penalize them for my perceptions of their work ethic.

On the other hand, you have Alan's team who completed the project, but didn't fulfill the requirements completely. They not only failed to meet the expectations, but they cost the company 2 extra employee's salaries in the process. Looking at the two stories side by side, this is just unacceptable. But Alan's boss would never know that. "The more you know", eh? (Flashback to the early 90's NBC ensues)

Obviously, I am making a lot of my decisions from a stance of relativity between the two stories, but taking that into account, I feel that my opinion still stands. Reading this parable did however, give me some alternative constructive(?) thinking in the aspect of being aware of other's realities, because that's what is at the core of this story. If your higher up THINKS you're excelling at what you do, I guess that's all that matters. Opinions? I know you do.

PS: Who knows if he was playing Space Invaders anyway? I mean let's be serious, it could have been Tetris for all they know. And that would have COMPLETELY changed the situation. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home