_

_

HYPRConscious

What do you strive for?

Friday, September 26, 2008

PS3 Initial Thoughts

My first initial thought taking the system out of the package was "wow, this seems to built a tier higher than the Xbox". I hoped that the impressive build quality was not superficial. The first downfall that I noticed is that the system did NOT come with component cables? What kind of bullshit is that? Out of 100 people buying a PS3, I seriously doubt more than .15 people are using composite cables. How much is an HDMI cable ANYWAY? I just bought 3 for $9, I'm sure Sony could strike up a deal for less than $1 apiece. That's just shitty.

Luckily, the disapointments stop there for the most part. I was AMAZED at how quiet the system ran. The fan seemed to be a variable speed fan, but I never really hear it unless everything else in the room is dead silent. The system pumped out TONS of hot air as well, which gives me great comfort knowing that all that heat isn't just sitting inside burning shit up. Mechanically, this system is leaps and bounds above the 360. It makes the 360 seems like a cereal box toy.

However, lets not forget how UFOish the system looks. The surfaces look great, and the case is more than sturdy enough. The only drawback I see is just the shape of it. Why is it an oval?

I picked up Uncharted when I got the system. At first, I'll admit, I was somewhat paranoid. As I started up the game, there was a lot of flakyness in the graphics: popup/jitter. I was starting to think I had made a bad decision. But after awhile, for some reason, I stopped getting it for the most part. I get it every now and again in large open fields, but in normal gameplay it's butter smooth. I like.

Honestly, I can't tell the difference in graphics between that and the 360. It's pretty much a moot point IMO.

Tversity however has been a pain in the ass to get working. I figured that since I had all my movies playing on my 360, they should be ready for the PS3? Wrong. Almost nothing in my inventory would play worth a shit. It kept saying something about unsupported, or maybe the file was deleted (wtf?). So in that respect, I was majory disapointed. I should also note that the one video that I did get to run looked honestly like shit. I don't know what I have set wrong, but it was horrible in comparison to the 360. I looked up a bit of information on setting up the PS3, but was quickly discouraged for the time being. Is there REALLY that much of a difference in setting up a PS3 vs an Xbox (for Tversity)?

All in all, taking everything into consideration, this is an amazing system. I have faith that I'll be able to get Tversity working smoothly and have the PS3 as my main video playback device (BD included!). Now, I have a pseudo-working Xbox and 3 games... hmmm..... :'(

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd recommend doing a fresh install of TVersity if you keep encountering problems. That has always solved any of my issues. Also, you may want to quickly doublecheck your settings for transcoding media, both in settings and in the library menu (make sure it's not set to "N/A" or "Never" or something).

The hardware itself is sturdy and well designed. I don't think I've heard a single complaint about that from anyone ever. I know I'm impressed.

I never got around to picking up Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, but I've heard its a big sleeper hit. It's supposed to become a trilogy, but I'd be real curious to hear what you think of the game, both in detail and overall.

11:44 PM, September 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home