_

_

HYPRConscious

What do you strive for?

Monday, June 26, 2006

The Evil Eye

While at work today, I was talking to one of my co-workers. I was asking him about one of this yearly trips down to Tennessee and what he actually did down there. He said he did white water rafting with some type of group. So naturally I asked what type of group he went down with, thinking it was a family thing or something. He reached for his wallet and gave me this card.

The card had something to do with "The greatest experiences in your life" along with a quote from the Bible. "Ok, that's cool.", I thought, different strokes for different folks eh? So I proceeded to hand the card back to him and he said I should keep it. I've talked to this guy before, and he knows I'm not in any way a Christian, or have any plans to be one mind you. I insisted that I really would have no use for it since I wouldn't investigate further into this "camp". He seemed kind of mad that I didn't want to keep it.

Why does it always have to be like that? Why can't people just accept that you don't believe the same things that they do? I don't try to push my agnostic beliefs on anyone. I state my opinion, if asked, nothing more. I don't want people to take my beliefs as their own; I have full confidence that they will take the information given to them and make the best choice possible depending on how they feel.

It just irks me how religion can make people so egotistical. I'm almost certain that my co-worker took it personally that I didn't take his card. I would have taken his card, but I would have never done anything with it. I probably would have just thrown it away on my way home. I have more respect for people than to just put on a facade like I'm interested in something that I'm not. He didn't take it too hard, but you could tell by the look in his eye, he was thinking "NO, I think you SHOULD take it.... (then) Why won't this guy just take the damn card?!".

At least this experience was thought provoking, more than I can say most other situations...

2 Comments:

Blogger Sellew Cire said...

You have to keep in mind "perspective". The way in which you perceived the confrontation, the way you understand the transaction to have taken place and the assumptions you have vis-a-vis the other party, are most likely unfounded by self-bias. Remember that the way in which your mind perceives a situation is most likely much different than the way others will see it. Also, in the future, always take a business card. This is a friendly gesture and to not do so, regardless as to your either implicit or explicit reasoning/explaination, is to be construed as an act of haughty arrogance the majority of the time. Think about how you might feel if someone rejected your offer to take your business card regardless of the cards nature.

11:09 AM, July 17, 2006  
Blogger Adam said...

Good points. My mistake in this situation, as many others, was assuming. Who knows what he is perceiving. Also, most of the time, ASSUMING creates confusion/conflict. I try not to do it, especially in reference to other's emotions.

4:23 PM, July 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home